Thursday, April 21, 2011

Looking for a Good Movie?

Steve had yesterday off and we were looking for something fun to do. I still don't have tons of energy since I am recuperating from being sick, so we decided on a movie. We have been disappointed lately with the selection of movies so we weren't expecting much. We decided to go see 'Soul Surfer'. Let me tell you, we were SO impressed with this movie. It is a MUST SEE. The story is so inspiring and is a great 'feel good' movie. It is no surprise that my eyes were leaking, but Steve's were also, and Steve NEVER cries in movies (Shh..don't tell him I told you he cried). Bethany, (the girl in the movie, whose arm is eaten by a shark) is an amazing person. She has so much love and a heart of a tiger! I am not terrified of sharks, but I don't think I would have the courage to go back into the water after I lost my arm to a 14-foot tiger shark.

At the end of the movie (I hope I am not spoiling this for anyone), Bethany is asked by a reporter if she could go back and change the day she was attacked, would she? Her answer is a remarkable one. She explains that she wouldn't because she can embrace more people with one arm than she could with two. She took something that could have been a negative and turned it into a positive.

I hope that I can have the faith and courage as Bethany did. I look at myself while facing infertility and wonder if I am rising above the hardship and making it something positive, or am I just sinking? I think at moments I have done both. Sometimes I just want to curl up and die, because I hurt and feel worthless; at other times I do see a shimmer of light through this trial. I have compassion for others who face infertility, my faith is being strengthened, I am learning to submit my will to my Heavenly Father, I have the opportunity to further my education, and I have time to build a strong relationship with Steve. If I were asked if I could change my situation, I think I would answer like Bethany did, although I don't know if I would be as confident in my answer yet...but, I will someday. Infertility, along with other trials in my life, have helped shaped me to be who I am. I like who I am, I don't want to change me. Plus, this is my Heavenly Father's plan for me, so who am I to say what is best for me? I don't know better than God.

If you haven't seen this spectacular movie, make it a date to go and see it! You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I love your perspective. "I don't know better than God" is something I need to remember sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete