Friday, June 24, 2011

I got a new JOB!!!

I taught 5th Grade in 2009-2010 and then moved to Lakewood in the summer of 2010. I have been looking for a full time teaching position or a job in Special Education since we moved. I have been teaching swim lessons, babysitting, and doing tons of volunteer work to fill up my time while I looked for a job. Finding a job was a little difficult because I have decided to switch careers. Instead of teaching in a general education classroom I have wanted to switch to Special Education. Switching has not been the easiest thing. Everywhere that I have applied said that I was over qualified and under experienced. I have part of my MA degree but I do not have much experience in the Special Education field so it has been hard in this economy to find an employer who will pay more for someone who has less experience, but finally my time has come. I was hired this week as a Mental Health Worker at the Joshua School. (The following is taken directly from their website) "The Joshua School is a private, non-profit educational and therapeutic day treatment center for individuals and families challenged and enriched by autism spectrum disorders and developmental disabilities. We are committed to building a community that offers the highest level of care and individual instruction for students, the most comprehensive array of services, and the strongest level of outreach and education regarding autism spectrum disorders (ASD)." I will be responsible for kids ages 12 to 17 for their education and behavior. This job will stretch me since it is a little different from what I have done in the past, but I am looking forward to it! Here is the link for the school if you are interested in learning more about it. http://www.joshuaschool.org/about_history.shtml


The school is year round so I will be starting the first week of July (wow, that is just days away)! It is amazing how quickly your life can change in an instant! I am super excited for this opportunity and I think it will only give me great experiences that will make me a better person and a better mother. Motherhood is still my ultimate goal so I am trying to do anything that will help me be prepared for that miraculous day when it comes.



Thank you for letting me share this exciting news with you! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment