Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our North Carolina Trip!

We just got back from our North Carolina Trip! Wow! I really want to live in North Carolina. What a beautiful place; it made Colorado look very brown when we came back. My grandmother had a cabin right above Maggie Valley. Her property is backed up next to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
The cabin is now owned by my aunt and Mom. It will then be passed down to my siblings, my cousins and me. This was Steve's first time to the cabin and to North Carolina. Here is a view from the back deck of the cabin.
We started our trip picking wild blueberries and blackberries. They were everywhere! We picked 4 containers full in about 10 minutes. We had peach, blueberry, or blackberry cobbler almost every night!



During our trip we took several small hikes and swam in the hot tub almost every day. It was fun to have all of my family there... Meghan (my sister), Kyle (my sister's husband), Eli (my cute 12 month old nephew), Micah (my brother), Mom, Larry (my wonderful step-dad), Steve, me, and of course Lebaron (yellow lab), and Eagle (black lab). On the first full day that we were there we went "indoor sky diving" to celebrate Micah's 20th birthday. I don't know why they called it indoor sky diving since it was outside but we had a blast. It was a lot harder than we thought. My mom, of all people did the best. We were all surprised that she did it! She is scared of heights, but she did well. We were about 50 feet off the ground and the wind speed was about a little less than 100 miles per hour.






We had a lot of fun. The net that you see in the picture is about 20-25 feet off the ground. They say that just three minutes in the air is like a 30 minute workout. We all believed it afterward. We were a little sore in our hips and shoulders. In the afternoon we went to Sliding Rock. It was a huge rock that you slide down on your bottom and land in about 8 feet of water. The water was about 45-50 degree F. It was a cold shock at the bottom, but, as always, we had a blast.






The next day we did a few waterfall hikes. We got to see about 5 different waterfalls. It was fun. This whole trip we felt like we lived in our bathing suits, which was okay because with the humidity we were always wet anyways. The waterfalls were spectacular. The last one we didn't get pictures of but it was the most fun. It had a swinging rope that we could swing and jump into the middle of the river right before the waterfall, then we could slide on our bottoms all the way down the waterfall. It was so much fun. When we go back, this will definitely be on our list of things to do. Here are the first two waterfalls that we saw. The pictures do not give them justice.






This was an awesome trip. I was able to go for a week, Steve was only able to go for four days because he had to work, so we tried to fit all the really fun stuff into the first few days. This trip will have to be blogged and documented as one of my favorite. North Carolina has a piece of my heart. I am honored and excited to some day own a piece of this cabin that has great family memories and that reminds me of my dear grandmother "Mommie Dot"! She was one of the neatest ladies I have ever met. I am honored to be her granddaughter.

Here is a picture of my cute nephew Eli. I can't believe he will turn one this month. Being an aunt is awesome!

GOOD BYE NORTH CAROLINA!!! UNTIL NEXT TIME!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This trip with you both was fabulous! I so much enjoyed your excitement in "flying" and picking berries, and watching you play in the waterfalls. I kept imagining you both playing with a little one in the edges of the rivers, carrying a baby on a hike, and teaching a child how to make a pie. We had lots of laughing and rough-housing moments with enough quiet talks to make it memorable. What a vacation!

    ReplyDelete